This is my 366th consecutive, daily post. Since it was leap year, I figured I had to get to 366 to say I’d completed a year of posts. 🙂
Collectively, I’ve written over 250,000 words in the course of blogging for one year. That’s over 1000 pages worth of words. If I would have said I wanted to write 1000 pages, I probably would have quit after the first 100 or so.
Here are my lessons from a year of blogging:
- In the end, it’s about people. I didn’t expect to meet people through blogging, but I have. I keep writing because all of you keep reading. I look for you, I watch for regulars, I peak at your blogs when I have a few minutes. You matter to me. Please come back.
- I can only write one day at a time–one word at a time. Thinking about the collective volume is fun after the fact, but not the goal.
- The delete key is my friend. I went from an average of 1200 words a post to setting a limit of 500 words. Although it initially took me much longer to write 500 than 1200 words, I think we’re all happier.
- Sometimes, you do have to think about more than one day at a time. Scheduling posts ahead of time when I’m traveling has kept me going. Had I not figured out how to do this, I would have given up on my goal of one post a day about a month into blogging when we spent 2 weeks in Germany.
- Every post can’t be my best post ever. I started with the expectation that every post would be an improvement over the last. What’s “best” depends on the subject and what people are interested in. Sometimes I have the need to think about the meaning of life. Sometimes I have the need to improve my photography skills. Which one is better?
- Some days, I’m writing right before bed, falling asleep as I write, trying to get the morning post scheduled before I pass out on my keyboard. Those aren’t going to be my best posts. For each post to be my best ever, I’d need to quit my day job and do this full time. I don’t love blogging enough to give up food and shelter, so I’ll just apologize for those posts now. For me, it’s more about establishing the discipline of meeting my commitment to post about 500 words a day every day.
- At some point, I will have to consider the possibility that I’ve said enough in this forum and it’s time to move on to the next. For now, I’m content to keep posting.
- Kittens are irresistible. And since these kittens are indirectly responsible for Tisen coming into our lives (they are foster kittens–my sister-in-law inspired me to foster dogs), I thought they would be a good photographic subject to celebrate the completion of this milestone.
It’s been a good year–thanks!
I have enjoyed reading your blog and I congratulate you on your year of blogging! I don’t know much about cameras but I have enjoyed the pics. As you know, especially the pics of Tison lol. Here ‘s to another year! (sorry I don’t have a glass of champane it’s too early in the morning lol
Thanks! And I have enjoyed your comments–I appreciate the time you spend reading and commenting! Maybe a mimosa? 🙂
I had a bottle of that one time. A friend gave it to me for helping her and her partner move. I didn’t think I would like it but I ended up drinking the whole bottle that night and dancing around in the living room by myself lol. That’s the trouble with me, I don’t know when to stop lol
I have that problem with Jelly Beans–eat the whole bag and then dance around the living room. 😉
Congratulations! I have really enjoyed your blog, the photos of the present and past, ones of trips you take and have taken, and those really cute ones of Tisen (all of his are cute). And, the kitties are so cute… I have enjoyed your blog because you give it a sense of depth-not too much-just right. And, you make me laugh because I have found myself in similar situations at times. Please don’t take this wrong but it is nice to know everyone else isn’t perfect 😀 .
Sorry–got carried away–you have done a great job! I think I’ll take one of those mimosas now…
Thank you so much for your comments–I sure appreciate hearing from you. I’m not perfect? 😉 Have a mimosa for me, too.
Don’t freak out and think I am crazy, trying to make you buy into a pyramid scheme or am an imprisoned prince looking for bail money!
My name is Lisa Hutchison and I have a blog called ‘Forcing myself happy’ –Basically I will be doing one thing to make me happy every day for 6 months. Today the challenge was ‘Make new friends with the same interests as you’! I noticed that you had one of the same interests as me and so am asking you to be my friend! 😀 I know this sounds bonkers. But it would be lovely if you could go to my blog and leave a wee comment saying hello.
Thanks. Your potential new friend Lisa! 😀 hehe
Sorry to be so slow responding–I was traveling. Will check out your blog.
Congratulations for making the whole year. I’ve enjoyed your postings as well. Keep up the good work!
Thanks, Mike! Glad to see you back again. Thought maybe you’d been overcome by work. 🙂
Dianne, I so enjoy your blog with a cup of coffee the first thing every morning. I was not able to read the last couple days (as you know I had company) but I am catching up quickly. I look forward for another year of your writing.
Aww! That’s so nice–thank you, Renate. I hope I can keep it up! 🙂
Pingback: Silly rewards and tricking your writer to get to the page « the daily creative writer